Friday, September 11, 2020

Salsa


Salsa is one of my favorite music genres. I grew up listening to it and it reminds me of my family. It has been everywhere for me, at parties, when food is getting cooked, even waking me up to clean on weekends. I just think salsa is amazing. Some of my favorite artists include Hector Lavoe, Celia Cruz, and Willie Colon.

Salsa has strong roots from Afro-Cuban music. This type of music was brought from Cuba all the way to New York City. It really grew in the city. Nuyoricans, or Puerto Rican decedents born in NY, took a huge liking to the music. That was the moment the salsa we have now was born.

9 comments:

  1. Didn't know Salsa music has Afro-Cuban roots, thanks for the education :-) I like salsa the food, I'll check out salsa music as well ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. "La Vida Es Un Carnaval" by Celia Cruz is a classic! I really like Marc Anthony's music, too. I had no idea salsa has much of its origination from Cuba and the adoptions of the music in New York and Puerto Rico are why it is so popular in those communities. After seeing where Marc Anthony was born, it makes a lot of sense, he was born in New York. Viva Salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salsa too! I wish I'd have more practice dancing it when I was younger because now I feel like I'm missing sason. LOL I grew up dancing to Banda and Rancheras and thats where I feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a French-American friend who loved to go salsa dancing. Sadly, I have no idea what it is but will have to check out at least one of the artists you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Azucar!!!!! I love Celia Cruz. My mom used to have her music playing all the time especially on Saturday, that was our cleaning day. It used to pump us up to clean the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a little time and researched your musical interest and I found it very interesting. I to came from a different culture (Thailand) my favorite musical interest is Isan music, Tai Orathai, this to influenced my life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love salsa music too. When ever i hear it, its impossible for me not to dance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salsa music delivers an undeniable passion in its composition, is also an intensely passionate dance. I took salsa lessons, my feet did not agree, but I would still love to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the happy energy in Salsa music. It really does get you pumped to get up and do something.

    ReplyDelete